Saturday, July 23, 2011

I'm Back, Baby!

It's been a good week.

And not just because last night some sort of genetically-modified super-cougar raised her glass to mine and said, "To you and me and the prospect of a good fuck sometime."

It was just as awkward as it was flattering.

No, I'm talking about fitness.  Last week I covered exactly what I had been doing for the last three weeks in order to get completely off-track and gain 4 lbs. of pure, squishy fatness.  I ate a shit-ton of delicious ice cream, only trained about once a week and adopted an extremely negative attitude.  I was tired, bloated and depressed.

No more.


Starting Monday, I jumped back on track and stayed there.  I started The Superhero Workout, and only ate good, wholesome food, keeping the carbs low at all times other than breakfast and post-workout.  I've already lost a few pounds of fat, water and various body garbage, and that makes me all the more excited to keep this going and share my experience with others.  In fact, I checked myself out in a public bathroom last night and (through the reclaiming of my self image) popped a boner.

There I was, standing in the middle of the men's bathroom at Brewski's, staring at the shiny golden god in my reflection with only a thin layer of denim restraining my erection.

And so I decided to take pictures of everything I ate over the course of one day, to provide an example of what I might eat throughout the day, and to answer the "What do you eat?" question I've gotten from a few readers.


9:50 a.m.
A tall glass of ice-cold water, first thing.  Crisp.

10:05 a.m.
Smoothie and organic coffee sweetened with vanilla creme-flavored liquid stevia.

Smoothie recipe:

1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1 tbsp. ground flaxseed
1 scoop greens/superfood powder
1 1/2 scoops strawberry-flavored protein powder
Handful of ice.

Blend it, drink it, thank me.


10:15 a.m.
Supplements.
Since the greens were in the smoothie, I didn't take any more.
2:00 p.m.
Post-workout shake.
(Sorry, I chugged some of it before realizing I hadn't taken a picture yet.)

Post-workout shake recipe:

10-12 oz. water
25g strawberry whey isolate
40-50g dextrose
5g creatine
5g glutamine
Ice.
4:00 p.m.
Scrambled eggs with 1 whole egg and 1/2 cup of liquid egg whites, with garlic.
Usually I'd add a vegetable like spinach or broccoli, but I was all out.
7:45
Beef stew, recipe courtesy of strength coach Dan John:

1 can tomato soup
1 can french onion soup
1-2 lbs. stew beef
Bag of frozen stew veggies
Olive oil (I used coconut)
Pepper

1.  Heat oil in big pot
2.  Brown meat in oil, pepper it
3.  Throw in soups and veggies
4.  Simmer until meat is tender.

Done and done.
10:00 p.m.
Protein pudding

1 cup low fat grass-fed milk
2 cups fat free cottage cheese
1 pkg. Sugar free instant pudding mix

Blend milk and cottage cheese until completely smooth, then  whisk in pudding mix and stick in the fridge for 5 minutes.
I won't lie, it's delicious with some sugar-free Cool Whip on top.

Later on that night I had a bowl of Greek yogurt, which I failed to take a picture of.  Sorry.

Oh, and I'm including these because during the Summer months my sweet tooth is as strong as ever:

It's things like this that keep me sane when I'm dieting.

Was this a perfect day of eating?  Maybe, maybe not.  That's probably a subject for debate.  The point is that I took in a lot of decent food and had all the right macro-nutrients at the right times, without lowering caloric intake too much and keeping the protein high.  I'll most likely have a cheat meal once or twice a week to keep leptin levels high, depending on how much of a deficit I'm in.

Have any questions?  Had trouble seeing something in the photos?  Think the stew looks awful?  


Comment!


2 comments:

Joanne said...

Nice work Matt, was a little worried about your health from the last few posts. Glad to see you're addressing it. Made me laugh with the bit about standing in the Brewskies troom. You should find yourself a sweet that's a little less phallic though, I have to say :D Best of luck with your progress

Kittoe said...

Thanks!

Unfortunately, they don't make vagina-shaped popsicles. I've emailed them about this so hopefully this shall be rectified soon.

Post a Comment